Match report-IFC Enniscrone/Kilglass v Shamrock Gaels

Kennedys Intermediate Championship Semi-final.

           Shamrock Gaels Late Rally Earns A Draw.    Report by Padraic Duffy. 


Enniscrone/Kilglass 1-10    Shamrock Gaels 0-13.

A pulsating final ten minutes saw Shamrock Gaels keep their Championship hopes alive as they secured a draw against a spirited Enniscrone/Kilglass team in the Kennedys Intermediate championship semi-final in Bunninadden Community Park on Sunday afternoon. The sides were level at the interval but the seasiders held a significant three points lead for much of the second half.

Although Shamrock Gaels enjoyed regular possession, their short passing game

was capably dealt with by a sterling opposition defence where J.P.Carden and Brendan Byron were very prominent. Shamrock Gaels were over reliant on David Quinn’s accuracy from frees to keep them in the game and eventually clinch the equaliser. Indeed the same player almost stole it for the maroon and white but his well struck 45  just missed the target in the dying seconds.

Yet this was an entertaining game with well contested exchanges all over the pitch and an evident determination by both sides to qualify for the decider, where Curry await.

Despite their draw and extra time v Ballymote last week, Enniscrone /Kilglass opened in energetic fashion with corner forward, Shane Hargadon opening their account with a point after three minutes.

Shamrock Gaels settled and had their most productive spell in the game, reeling off five points without reply. Darragh Hailstones pointed from play and David Quinn added two points from frees. Brian Boyd added another before David Quinn finished off good approach work with a point from an acute angle on the left.

Indiscipline in the Gaels defence saw the ball brought forward and Michael Moyles pointed the for his side’s second score. The impressive Brian Coleman added another point .Enniscrone then had a real goal chance, but Michael Moyle’s goalbound effort was well saved by the Gaels’ keeper Donal Touhy.

Points from Brian Boyd and David Quinn gave their team a four points lead approaching the interval. Enniscrone /Kilglass, however finished with a flourish. The Gaels defence failed to deal with a high ball into their goalmouth and Mark Gordon picked up the break to hammer the ball to the net.

Team captain, Cathal Mullaney, who led by example throughout, pointed from play to send the teams to the dressing rooms on level terms 1-4 to 0-7 at the interval.

On the resumption the influential Frank Quinn pushed S.Gaels ahead with a point from 40m.

Brian Coleman equalised before Cian Mulrooney put his side ahead again when he flicked a delivery from Kevin Cawley over the bar. Mark Gordon, who was always a threat to the Gaels defence, increased the Enniscrone/Kilglass lead. Cian Mulrooney added his second point to leave his side ahead 1-8 to 0-8.

Keith Mc Morrow broke forward from defence to pull a point back for a Gaels side who were now under pressure. Ciaran O’Dowd restored the seasiders advantage with one of the points of the game. Brian Boyd steadied the S.Gaels ship with a point from play but they were soon reduced to 14 players  following the dismissal of Ben Touhy on a second yellow card.

Michael Moyles pointed from 40m. to push Enniscrone/Kilglass further ahead.

Following a throw-in after the Enniscrone/Kilglass ‘keeper was penalised for a delayed kick out, S.Gaels midfielder, Joe Henry  won the ball but his attempt on goal from close in went to the right and wide.

Shamrock Gaels upped the tempo with a possible exit looming.

Brian Boyd pointed from play and David Quinn pointed a 13m free to reduce the deficit to a single point. Amid mounting excitement and with the clock ticking down, David Quinn pointed a 20m. free from the left to bring the sides level. The momentum was now with his team in injury time but an overworked Enniscrone/Kilglass defence held out to earn a replay next weekend.

Both sides will be relieved to have another chance, but Shamrock Gaels in particular will probably feel they have further room for improvement.

Enniscrone/Kilglass will be encouraged by their determined display over the past two weeks and will relish another opportunity to prove that they are well capable of performing at this level.

Both teams revert to Bunninadden on Sunday next, with the throw-in at 4.30p.m.

Scorers: Enniscrone/Kilglass: M.Gordon 1-1,M.Moyles 0-2(0-1f.),B.Coleman 0-2,C.Mulrooney 0-2,S.Hargadon, C.Mullaney & C.O’Dowd 0-1 each.

S. Gaels: D.Quinn 0-6 (0-4f.),B.Boyd 0-4,D.Hailstones,K.Mc Morrow & F.Quinn 0-1 each.

Line-out: Enniscrone/Kilglass: G.Regan;E.Burke,B.Byron,J.Ellis;K.Cawley,J.P.Carden,E.Hallinan;D.Mullaney,C.Mullaney(capt.);C.Mulrooney,C.O’Dowd,B.Coleman;M.Gordon,M.Moyles,S.Hargadon. Subs used:B.Fitzgerald,A.Duffy & R.Jacob.

S.Gaels: D.Touhy;B.Touhy,E.Lyons,K.McMorrow;K.McKenna,P.Higgins(capt.),A.Flynn;

D.McDermott,J.Henry;M.Kilkenny,B.Boyd,C.O’Connor;D.Hailstones,F.Quinn,D.Quinn. Subs used:J.Carroll,S.Hailstones.

Referee: J.Griffin (Calry/St.Joseph’s).


Comments and Discussion on this article:                          (+ Write a Comment)

Write comments about this article
Your Name:*