Belfry SFC QF: Coolera/Strandhill 1-16 v Tubbercurry 2-12

Coolera had to withstand a Tubber comeback in the last 15 minutes in Bunninadden on Sunday but held on to knock out the finalists from last year at the quarter final stage. Coolera were good value for their win as they started the game at championship pace and never relented. It took Tubbercurry 40 minutes to realise they were in a game but at that point Coolera were 8 points up and they were also 8 points up with 13 left on the clock. 

Coolera were tough in the tackle and did not kick the ball away but they found their scoring forward. Tubber lead once in this game when David Kelly scored a free from out near the sideline in the third minute but were down 6 v 1 after 20 minutes and should have been more behind as Griffin Gallagher made an excellent save from Adam Higgins. Two David Kelly frees in the 21 minute saw the lead being cut to 3 and this should have been drawn as it took a scramble in the Coolera goalmouth to clear danger right after the second free, however that scramble saw Coolera drive upfield and score from Barry O'Mahoney. Cooleras Mark Comerford took a fisted point when a goal was definitely on right after. Adam Higgins extended the lead to 6 and just on the halftime whistle Jason Perry got Tubbers first score from play to leave the score at the break 0-9 v 0-4. 

The second minute of the second half was vital as Colin Parke scored 1-1 in the space of 30 seconds. After getting a point Coolera won the kickout and had a 3 on 1 but Parke finished expertly to the top of the net to put Coolera 9 points up with 27 minutes to go. Tubber had brought on Rory Ryan and Eddie McGuinness moved out to the half back line and this seemed to give them more of a foothold around the middle of the park especially at the kickouts. 

Brian Morahan responded with a good score from play and this was quickly followed by a good Luke Gilmartin point. Coolera again came back with 2 Niall Murphy points. Harte in the Coolera goal made an excellent save after David Kelly had split the defence open with a pass into Walsh. Points from Darragh Kilcoyne and Gilmartin kept Tubber in it but when Jason Perry drove in a pile driver across the keeper to the top right of the net it was game on. They kept the heat on with 3 more points from Kelly and Perry to cut the lead to 2 with 4 to play. Coolera responded with a great solo point from Keelan Cawley and followed up with a long range point from Niall Murphy to extend to 4 going into injury time. There was still time for a David Kelly free to cut to 3 , Pete Laffey scored a good point to push out to 4 again. A long range kick into the Coolera defence saw a scramble with Stephen Gilmartin pushing the ball into the net in the 4th minute of injury time, however the final whistle blew on the kickout and Coolera were through to the semi-finals where they will play their neighbours St.Marys in the semi final. 

Scorers: Coolera: Niall Murphy 0-7(3f), Colin Parke 1-1, Barry O'Mahoney 0-3, Mark Comerford, Adam Higgins, Keelan Cawley, Peter Laffey 0-1 each

Tubber: David Kelly 0-6(6f), Jason Perry 1-2, Stephen Gilmartin 1-0, Luke Gilmartin 0-2, Brian Morahan 0-1 Darragh Kilcoyne0-1(1 45)

Comments and Discussion on this article:                          (+ Write a Comment)

Write comments about this article
Your Name:*