JFC A SF: Cloonacool 2-9 v Tourlestrane 0-16

Back 30/09/2019 @ 08:29 | mainnews | JFC A SF: Cloonacool 2-9 v Tourlestrane 0-16

With the nights lengthening it will give Cloonacool lots of time to think why did it take almost 40 minutes to start to play in this semi-final. Tourlestrane are preparing for a final but they too will be wondering why did they take the foot off the gas when having an extra player and deploying him to wing back/centreback. It made for an exciting last 20 minutes for anyone watching though.

Tourlestrane were out of the blocks very early and Eoin Walsh, Rian Bailey and Mark Lundy were causing havoc in the forward line. nothing was getting past Diarmuid Dunne at centre back and Darren O'Hara was in control of midfield. Cloonacool insisted on bringing the ball into the tackle and with the underfoot conditions not good and the ball like a bar of soap it was the reason there was a huge amount of turnovers. 

By the time Joe Molloy have come up from defence to score a good point from play in the 16th minute Tourlestrane were 8 v 0 up with a range of scorers in Walsh, Shane Dunne, RuairĂ­ Brennan, Bailey, O'Hara and Mark Lundy. With 5 to go in the half Niall Brennan made an excellent save from Lundy but the score was now 10 zip. Jason Brennan scored a close in free before the break to leave the half time score 0-11 v 0-1. 

The first significant action of the half saw Cloonacool reduced to 14 men for a second yellow but this saw Tourlestrane move their extra man back into defence, however they stopped kicking the ball into their fast forward line. Hughie Marren scored a penalty in the 5th minute after a tussle between JP Lang and Brennan. Brennan had finished to the net but the whistle had been blown before. The two sides traded 2 points a piece with James Lawrence and Marren for Cloonacool and Bailey and Lundy in response. A cross field pass was intercepted which left Cloonacool with a 3 v 2 on goal, as Marren dummied he was high tackled, got his pass off but that was saved and a penalty awarded. Though Bowes went the right way Marren drove it into the same corner as previously past him and the score was 2-3 v 0-13 with 19 to play. 

Tourlestrane responded with a point but Cloonacool responded with 5 to draw level in the 29th minute. Eoin Walsh responded with an excellent point from play in the 30th minute and from the kickout Bailey put 2 between the sides. Cloonacool drove down the field for a point from Lawrence. 3 points had been scored in 90 seconds. Tourlestrane won the kickout and held on for the victory where they will play St.Michaels in the final.