Kennedy's IFC Final Geevagh 2-16 v Bunninadden 3-5

Back 28/10/2019 @ 19:41 | mainnews | Kennedy's IFC Final Geevagh 2-16 v Bunninadden 3-5

East Sligos Geevagh will play in the 2020 senior football championship after they overcame Bunninadden in the championship final. After a whirlwind start to the game it petered out in the second half as Geevagh were able to score at will and the number of injuries and black cards for Bunninadden began to take their toll.

From the throw in Bunninadden won it and drove forward but a wayward pass in the Geevagh full back line was fully penalised as Geevagh went on a 100m passing move which ended with Daniel Devine driving past McDonagh in the first minute. In fairness it did not bother the south Sligo men and points from play by young Matthew Clavin, Kenneth Kerins and Michael Gormley had then level on the 4th minute. A great response. Kevin Henry scored a free after 9 minutes and Donal Conlon got one from play in the 12th minute. At this time the game was up and down the field. Bunninadden lost Doddy to a black card which saw Karl Brennan coming on and they got a great shot in the arm when Matthew Clavin drove onto a crossfield pass and drove past Kearns in the Geevagh goal. At this time Bunninadden lead 2-2 v 1-2 and it was to stay like that till the 26th minute when Geevagh finished the half with 4 unanswered points from Daithí O'Reilly(2), Jodie O'Reilly and Ken Sweeney. By the halftime whistle Bunninadden had used 2 subs and also had Barry Cafferky as a blood sub. Geevagh lead at the break 1-6 v 2-2 

McLoughlin was back on for the second half having had his blood cleared off but unfortunately Cafferky was on again with Sean Leamy going off with a head injury. Leamy was having a great game on Pat Hughes but Hughes looked also to be carrying a leg for most of the game. Pat Cawley had extended the lead before the delay for Leamy. By the time Rory O'Dowd scored Bunninaddens first score of the half in the 13th minute, 27 minutes since their last score, Geevagh had extended the lead further with points from Henry (2) and Conlon. Geevagh got two more in return and young Conor Murray got one for Bunni but it was at this stage too little too late. O'Dowd went for a black and in the 26th minute Daithí O'Reilly put one into the top corner of the net to put the final nail in the coffin. With 6 minutes injury time to be played with the Leamy injury there was time for Geevagh to add further scores but eh final two score of the game were from Daniel Cafferky who put one just over the bar and for the second he drove to the bottom corner of the net. 

It was some performance from Geevagh defence who did not give away one scorable free to Kerins over the course of the game and the experience of their midfield eventually took control of that battle where they were second fiddle for the the first 15 minutes. The Bunninadden management did not get to make a tactical substitution I believe with all the injuries and cards but it is doubtful it would have made a difference. 
Geevagh will face The Neale from Mayo in the Connacht championship at Marlievicz on November 9


Geevagh: Kevin Henry 0-5 (4f), Daithí O'Reilly 1-2, Donal Conlon 0-4, Daniel Devine 1-0, Ken Sweeney 0-2, Jodie O'Reilly, Pat Hughes, Pat Cawley 0-1 each

Bunninadden: Matthew Clavin Daniel Cafferky 1-1 each, Michael Gormley 1-0, Kenneth Kerins, Rory O'Dowd, Conor Murray 0-1 each.