NFL D4 Shield : Sligo 0-9 v Wexford 2-15

Back 13/06/2021 @ 20:34 | mainnews | NFL D4 Shield : Sligo 0-9 v Wexford 2-15

Sligo travelled to O’Moore Park, Portlaoise to take on Wexford in this NFL division 4 fixture in the baking heat. A fixture that would not have taken place if Leitrim had taken up their fixture with Wexford provided the players and management with a final opportunity to get a competitive game before the Connacht SFC match v Mayo in Markievicz Park on June 26th. Unfortunately as it turned out the second half in particular had a challenge game intensity.

 John Francis Carr was a late addition to the starting line up and joined Conor McGovern and Peter Naughton getting their first full league start of 2021. Keelan Cawley moved up to the forward line and Seán Carrabine made the journey in reverse. Carrabine was to get the first score of the game when running from his own 45, outpacing two Wexford men and putting Sligo in front in the first minute. Mark Rossiter responded for Wexford with a free and Niall Murphy did likewise for Sligo.

 Wexford went in front with three points in 2 busy minutes 10 minutes into the game. John Turbitt who turned out to be a real thorn in the Sligo defence all day, Kevin O’Grady and wing back Michael Furlong all scored from play. Red Óg Murphy got one in response from play but after the water break Ben Brosnan scored a peach of a goal when at the end of a three man moved starting out at the Sligo subs bench, the finish a lovely inside the right foot finish that curled around Kilgannon into the top right corner of the net. It was to be his last act on the field of play having being injured in the scoring of the goal. Wing back Furlong got his second of the half joined by a Seán Nolan effort. Niall Murphy got Sligos first score for 17 minutes in additional time from play but a skyscraper of an effort by Turbitt where the referee told the umpire to put up the white flag after he had waved wide left a six point deficit at the break 1-7 v 0-4.

 Donal Conlon had come on for Keelan Cawley who was being assessed for a head injury before halftime and he was joined by Sean Power with Gavin Gorman coming on at the break With Daithí Waters and Liam Coleman dominating in the centre field and Turbitt on fire near the Sligo goal things went from bad to worse as the half wore on. As with the first half Carrabine and Murphy scored early in the half with Carrabine scoring a 45 also but Turbitt had scored four from play before the water break with both feet. Barry Gorman and Liam Gaughan came on and Gorman was fouled when calling the mark scored by Carrabine but he got his own point from another mark a few minutes later.

Wexford were now in total control and only a Niall Murphy free was added in the last 22 minutes whilst the team from the south east added 1-3 with the goal coming from midfielder Coleman who managed to rifle it into the top corner when letting fly on the ball when he bounced the ball. It was a very disappointing end to the league which had started so brightly against neighbours Leitrim. The team are in action in Markievicz Park on Saturday June 26th in the Connacht SFC against Mayo.


Sligo :- Niall Murphy 0-4 (3f) Seán Carrabine 0-3 (2f 1x45), Red Óg Murphy 0-1, Barry Gorman 0-1 (1 mark)


Wexford :- John Turbitt 0-6, Kevin O’Grady 0-3, Ben Brosnan, Liam Coleman 1-0 each, Michael Furlong, Seán Nolan 0-2 each, Mark Rossiter 0-1 (1f), Robbie Brooks


Sligo : Eamonn Kilgannon, John Francis Carr, Eddie McGuinness, Evan Lyons, Conor McGovern, Peter Laffey, Seán Carrabine, Darragh Cummins, Paul Kilcoyne, Keelan Cawley, Red Óg Murphy, Mikey Gordon, Peter Naughton, Niall Murphy, Cian Lally.

Subs – Seán Power for Carr, Donal Conlon for Cawley, Gavin Gorman for Lally, Barry Gorman for Red Óg Murphy, Liam Gaughan for Naughton, Karl McKenna for McGovern, Kyle Cawley for Gordon