Match Report-Connacht Gold JAFC St. Patricks v St. Molaise Gaels

Back 07/09/2021 @ 08:11 | mainnews | Match Report-Connacht Gold JAFC St. Patricks v St. Molaise Gaels

Connacht Gold Junior A Football Championship Group 1 Round 2.

Saturday, September 4th, 2021

St Patrick’s Vs Naomh Molaise Gaels

Referee: Gavin Cawley

Venue: Kent Park, Sligo

Match Report: Liam Casserly


St Patrick’s 2-12, Molaise Gaels 0-13.

On an ideal afternoon for football in Kent Park, supporters were treated to an entertaining encounter in the Junior A Football Championship. St Pat’s started the game brightly with an early four-point siege. James Clarke scored two while Padraic Clarke chipped in a tidy effort. A Jim Davis free from the right saw the West Sligo side leading comfortably early on before John Heraghty got Molaise up and running with a point from a long pass from John Gilsenan. Ollie White slotted a point after a foot pass from Luke Casserly. Pat’s replied immediately, Padraic Clarke seeing his ambitious shot from distance curl between the posts beautifully. Michael Langan scored a free which began a comeback from Gael’s. Ollie White split the posts from range after a long build up before Josh Fallon and Michael Langan both pointed to leave the sides level at seven points apiece at half time.

The restart swung into action immediately with Gael’s keeper Darragh Currid saving brilliantly to deny Pat’s from close range, but the Clarkes continued to cause trouble for the Molaise defence as James sailed another point over. Ronan Keegan was introduced to play to replace Ollie White and soon after, Pat’s crashed the ball into the Molaise net for the game’s first goal, Pierce Kearins finishing off a strong team move. Molaise replied instantly with a point from busy corner forward, combining with John Gilsenan. Jim Davis then increased his and Pat’s tally with a fine point to leave the score 1 09 to 8 points in favour of St Pat’s. It looked like a comeback from Molaise was on the cards when Molaise successfully converted two frees, one from James Heraghty and the next from Michael Langan but Pat’s responded with a goal from Pierce Kearins just before the second water break leaving the score at 2-09 to 0-10 and Molaise with an uphill struggle going into the final quarter.

The teams traded points after the final restart, Langan first for Molaise and Finneran for St Pat’s before John Heraghty converted a free with one minute of normal time remaining. Of the three points scored in injury time, two came from the St Pat’s full forwards Davis and Kevany before Michael Langan grabbed a consolation score deep into injury time. 

St Patrick’s were deserved victors on the day, their experience showing through. For Molaise, it was a gallant display that will stand to this young side in the future. The spectators from both sides were kept entertained with a game played in good spirit. Next up for Molaise is a clash with St Michael’s in Scarden on the 19th with St Pat’s meeting Cloonacool in Nace O’Dowd Park the same day.

Molaise Gaels: Daragh Currid, Tola Caraway, Ethan Watters, Colm Clancy, John Kerins, Conor Feighney, Micheál Gillen, Daniel Keaney, Luke Casserly, Ollie White (0-2), Josh Fallon (0-1), John Heraghty (0-4 2f), Michael Langan (0-5, 2f), John Gilsenan, Marc Heraghty (0-1). Subs: Ronan Keegan, Ryan Gallagher, Caoileann Carty

St. Patrick’s: Tomas McMunn, James Kearins, Joe McMunn, Jonathan Higgins, Enda Clarke, Dean Mahon, David Giblin(c) (1-0), Cathal Finneran (0-1), Connell Kearins, Donal Brady, James Clarke (0-3), Pierce Kearins (1-1), Jim Davis (0-4), Oisin Kevany, Padraic Clarke (0-3) Subs used: Jack Egan, Paul Boland, Donal Kilcullen