Match Report-Fureys Coaches Div 2 Relegation play off

Back 12/09/2021 @ 07:28 | mainnews | Match Report-Fureys Coaches Div 2 Relegation play off

Castleconnor 0-14 v Owenmore Gaels 1-13 (AET)

Fureys Coaches Division 2 Relegation Play-Off Final

Scarden was the venue for a Friday night throw-in under lights for the relegation play-off decider to decide who would drop a Division for 2022. In what turned out to be a real relegation dogfight that went to extra time, Owenmore Gaels left it late with an injury time goal in extra time to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat. Castleconnor will feel deflated after having a four point lead in the second period of extra time while Gaels will thank goal hero Ronan Sweeney for emerging victorious.

It took six minutes before the scoreboard was worked when Owenmore Gaels Ryan Phillips tapped over a free from 20m out after a foul on a Gaels attacker by Castleconnor full back Cian Barrins. Castleconnor had plenty of early possession and had three wides and an effort from Ronan Wilson that dropped short before getting off the mark with an excellent Paul Flynn point after he ran 20m down the middle before slotting over from 30m out. A free by Oisin Flynn 40m out from the posts after Sean Carrabine was fouled in the 14th minute edged Castleconnor 0-02 v 0-01 ahead at the first half water break. On the resumption the impressive Gaels wing back Roland Anderson slotted over a nice point off his right after numerous passes through the hand, but Castleconnor responded quickly with a 21m free by Oisin Flynn after he was fouled himself. Gaels hit back with the equaliser in the 22nd minute when midfielder Nathan O’Malley fired over after the Gaels defence turned Castleconnor over on their own 45m line. Both sides shot a couple of wides before a second Paul Flynn point from play fired Castleconnor in to the lead after he received a pass on the run from Carrabine. From the kick out Gaels broke quickly and wing back Anderson levelled matters with his second from play. Thomas Langan then fired over an excellent point 35m out on the right after another fine run by the impressive Paul Flynn but Ryan Phillips levelled matters just before the half-time break with a 13m free after referee adjudged  Cian Barrins to have fouled the Gaels attacker. This left the score at 0-05 each at half-time.

On the resumption Castleconnor shot an early wide from Paul Flynn before Oisin Flynn converted a 30m free, after Carrabine was pushed in the back after a good run through the middle. Gaels responded a minute later with another Ryan Phillips free 13m out after referee K.Henry pulled Cian Barrins for a foul off the ball and showed him a yellow card . Castleconnor responded to go back in to the lead with a Carrabine free which was brought in closer to goal for some indiscipline by Gaels, but Gaels responded quickly to level when centre forward Tommy Trill knocked over a point from play after wing back Anderson sent him clear from a quick free. The teams went to the water break level at 0-07 each and it was developing in to a real tight, tense battle in front of a decent crowd.

Castleconnor went in to a 24th minute lead from Paul Flynn when he burst through the Gaels defence and fired over off his left after receiving a Luke Munnelly pass. Gaels levelled once again in the 26th minute when Phillips slotted over a 13m free and looked to be heading for victory when they fired over an injury time point to lead by one. However, Castleconnor secured the kick out and Carrabine went on a run when he was eventually fouled 30m out from goal. Oisin Flynn cooly stepped up to slot the equaliser and referee blew up at 0-09 each. This meant the game would have two additional 10 minute periods of extra time.

Castleconnor looked like they might be edging the contest when they fired over four points in the first extra time period, a free by Carrabine after a foul on Oisin Flynn, an excellent Wilson point after a good run, a fisted effort by Carrabine and an excellent point from Eoin Kent after a lengthy run and a swift interchange of passes.  Gaels could only manage one point in the first half of extra time, a neat effort by substitute Gary Anderson off his left after he cut in from the side-line.

Things looked positive for Castleconnor when straight from the throw-in Paul Flynn went on a run where he was eventually fouled 25m out from goal and Oisin Flynn converted to leave it 0-14 v 0-10 in their favour. However this was to be the last score they would register. Gaels then fired over three points in response, another fine point from play by midfielder Nathan O’Malley, a point from play from Ryan Philips and the same player converted another free after referee harshly adjudged Patrick Cooney to have over carried. This all lead to the unbelievable finish when Gaels sought to hit the equaliser they worked the ball to create a goal chance which substitute Ronan Sweeney fired to the net leaving Liam Donegan with no chance. The referee allowed the kick-out to be contested but Gaels secured possession and when he blew the full-time whistle Owenmore Gaels had emerged victorious on the 1-13 v 0-14 score-line.

Castleconnor will now drop to Division 3 for the first time since 1984, while Owenmore Gaels have secured Division 2 status for the 2022 season.

Castleconnor: L. Donegan, R. Healy, C.Barrins, E.Kent (0-01), M.Blakeney, T.Langan (0-01), P.Cooney, S.Carrabine (0-03), C.Kilcullen, P. Flynn (0-03), B.Howley, R.Wilson (0-01), J. Tully, O.Flynn (0-05) L. Munnelly, Subs used:  M. Cahill, R. Winters., S.Kilgannon

Owenmore Gaels: J.Farrell, G.Lavin, L.Gilligan, R.Quigley, C.Whiteside, J.Duffy, R.Anderson (0-02), M.Walsh, N.O’Malley (0-02), J.Walsh, T.Trill (0-01), A.Walsh, R.Phillips (0-07), O.Geraghty, C.Davey Subs used: R.Sweeney (1-00), G.Anderson (0-01)