Match report-Homeland SFC Relegation Calry/St. Josephs v Geevagh

Back 11/10/2021 @ 13:53 | mainnews | Match report-Homeland SFC Relegation Calry/St. Josephs v Geevagh

Homeland Senior Championship Relegation play off

Sunday 10 October

Corran Park, Ballymote

Referee: Barry Judge


Calry/St. Josephs 1-10 Geevagh 0-11.


by Dave O Hara.



Geevagh started brightest in Sunday’s relegation play off opening up an early lead with three Kevin Henry frees.


Calry hit back with two points from play through Daragh Cummins and Daire O Boyle before Cummins converted a 20 metre free for a heavy challenge on his brother Adrian to level the teams.


Frees were the order of the day as Geevagh went into the water break one point up after a further conversion by Henry.


In the second quarter, Geevagh started well with two scores again from frees with sustained pressure on the Calry St Joseph’s defence


Calry St Josephs then managed to get back on terms as half time approached and Adrain Cummins forced a good save from Geevagh keeper Darren Kearns after good approach work by Brian Callaghan, Conor Griffin and  Daragh Cummins . From the kick out Calry retained possession and Ciaran Stenson found space to score a good point from the right. This was followed by another Daragh Cummins free from 13 and an Adrian from play.


Geevagh Had the last word for the half though as Conor Lavin got on the scoresheet with a nice point from the left leaving a point between the teams at half time 7 – 6 in favour of the men from the east.


Calry St Josephs were in no doubt they were in a dogfight and came out swinging in the second half. Good work by the pacey Brian Cox found Daire O Boyle who set up Conall Stenson to finish to the bottom corner of the net.


Geevagh did not lie down and had their own goal chance minutes later when they pressurised the Calry defenders and were rewarded with a 13-meter free which was converted with ease by Brian Henry.


Daragh Cummins responded by adding to his tally with another point from a free after a high tackle on Damien O Boyle.


Geevagh then managed to win the next three kick outs and got two great point from play from Tomas O Reilly and Pat Hughes and another free from Brian Henry leaving the score Calry St Joseph’s 1-8 Geevagh 9 points, heading to the final water break.


After the water break Calry managed to regain control when a long ball from Johnny Mc Goldrick found Daire O Boyle who turned his man to point from a tight angle off his right boot.


In the next few minutes both teams had sustained periods of possession but had a number of wides, resulting in frustration for the forwards.


With time running out Geevagh broke forward in numbers looking for a goal but had to settle for a Pat Hughes point and a Henry free after Hughes was fouled.


Calry relived the pressure though good work from Jonathan McGoldrick and Cormack Coyne, who worked to ball out of defence to find Ciaran Stenson, who burst through a few challenges to score a super point from a tight angle on the right, which was the last play of the game.


Curry: Darren Kearns; Shane Tighe; George Wall, Gary McManamon; Dylan Gabbidon; Arthur Wall; TJ Davey; Kevin Henry ( 0-7); Enda Mc Manus; Tomas O Reilly (0-1);  Donal Conlon; Conor Lavin; Joseph O Reilly; Ken Sweeney; Pat Hughes ( 0-2)

Subs: Daniel Smith, Karl Jennings.


Calry St JosephsAiden Devaney; Dara Foy; Conor Mc Govern; Cormack Coyne; Brian Callaghan; Jonathan Mc Goldrick; Brian Cox; Ciaran Stenson (0-2); Adrian Cummins (0-1) Daragh Cummins; (0-6) Damien O Boyle; Brian Shannon; Conal Stenson (1-0), Daire O Boyle, (0-1) Conor Griffin.

Subs: Arron Flynn, Daragh O Brien.