Goals pave the way for Tubbercurry Junior B semi final success

Back 04/10/2022 @ 01:22 | mainnews | Goals pave the way for Tubbercurry Junior B semi final success

Tubbercurry made their way to the final of the Connacht Gold Junior B championship after overcoming a battling St Patrick’s side at Kent Park on Saturday evening last.

By the end the margin was convincing as the victors pulled away in the last quarter with goals from Ronan Forkin and Ben Henry putting the game beyond the reach of St Pats in what was a competitive encounter up to that point.

The first quarter of the game was dominated by the weather. Tubbercurry’s TJ O’Hara and St. Patrick’s Ciaran Brady got a point each in the first two minutes but as the heavy rain turned into a downpour, both sides struggled to build any momentum or get an opening to score

Tubbercurry had the better of possession but didn’t press home the advantage on the scoreboard with their wides including a missed penalty with Conal Ryan pulling the ball wide after he had been fouled himself.

Stephen Kilcoyne, who emerged as Tubbercurry’s top scorer on the day eventually moved his side on with their second point on 16 minutes and added a third and a fourth in the 20th and 27th minutes to open up a gap as half time approached.

Brady pulled one back for St Patrick’s just before the break to leave the score at 4 points to 2 in favour of the south Sligo men going into the dressing room.


The opening period of the second half remained cautious and six minutes elapsed before St Patricks midfielder Kenneth Moore pointed to bring the margin back to a single point.

Kilcoyne replied for Tubbercurry and then there was a burst of scoring with four points – two each -  scored in three minutes;  Peter Kearins and Moore for St Patricks and Colm McGee and Kilcoyne for Tubbercurry.

Tubbercurry however were now dominating both possession and territory with Fionn Lucey and Gerard Perry running the ball back at their opponents at every opportunity. Kilcoyne and Lucey moved the margin out to four as the game entered the last ten minutes.

They then scored their two goals in quick succession which sealed the outcome of the game. The first was finished by corner forward Forkin who fisted a high delivery to the net in the 49th minute with the second coming four minutes later from the boot of Kilcoyne who was to finish the game with 1-7.

Those scores pretty much ended the game, St Patricks had two late points and Forkin added one for the winners but then suffered an unfortunate facial injury that will rule him out of the final.

The game ended at 2-10 to 0-7 in favour of Tubbercurry who now face Eastern Harps in the final the week after next.

St Patricks; Joe Curran; Patrick Farrell, Conor Henry, Teddy Kilgallon; Jimmy Kilgallon, Patrick Kevany, Oisín MacDonald; Oisín Kevany, Kenneth Moore (0-2); Cian Lacken, Ciarán Brady (0-2), Fergal Curran; Conor Foxe, Peter Kearins (0-3), Jack Clarke.


Tubbercurry: Mark Burke; Darren Matthews, Jimmy McDonagh, Adam O’Donnell; Mark Brennan, Gerard Perry, Jack Flatley; Aidan Brennan, Fionn Lucey (0-1); Conall Ryan, TJ O’Hara (0-1), James King; Ronan Forkin (1-1), Steven Kilcoyne (1-6), Colm McGee (0-1)

Subs: Ben Henry, Brendan Devane, Daniel Flatley, Colin Brennan, Enda McGoey, Gavin Gilmartin (blood sub)