Match report on Geevagh Vs St Cronas
Geevagh booked their place in the Connacht Intermediate club semi-final, following a hard earned win over Roscommon side St. Croans in Hyde Park on Sunday last.

Geevagh first chance of the game came in the fourth minute with Kenneth Sweeney putting a 45 over after David O’Reillys' goal bound effort was put behind by the St. Croans keeper. O’Reilly was on target in the eighth minute when Liam McDonagh won a free on the half way line and his ball to Pat Hughes was laid off to David who made no mistake with his first point of the game. St. Croans responded immediately with a point from their county player Eamon Towey. A mix up in the Geevagh defence a minute later almost gifted St. Croans a goal but their wing forward Martin Towey blasted wide from close range. Geevagh went two ahead when Kenneth Sweeney was fouled on the 30 and he slotted the resultant free over. Geevagh had a number of chances over the next 10 minutes but failed to take advantage. St. Croans levelled the scores at three apiece with frees from Eamon Towey, one of which looked to be wide of the post but was flagged by the umpire. In the twenty-third minute St. Croans went ahead for the first time in the game when Eamon Towey pointed from a free. Kenneth Sweeney responded with a point from a free when Kevin Byrne in the middle won a Daren Kearns kick out and he laid it off to David O’Reilly who was fouled on the 21.

In the last minute of the half Liam McDonaghs' free from his own half was won by Niall McDonagh and he set up Shane McManus for his first of the half. In extra time Geevaghs’ Niall McDonagh had a goal chance but the St. Croans clearance ended with a point from Eamon Towey to leave the sides level at the break.

St. Croans were first off the mark in the second half with a point from Shane Lannon. Kenneth Sweeney levelled with a point from a free and added two more from frees before St. Croans got one back from substitute Thomas Mockler. Kenneth Sweeney got his seventh of the game when he won a free on the 45, which he converted. St. Croans had a goal chance when the Geevagh goalie failed to clear and lost the ball but was fortunate that Des McTiernan was on hand to clear. The busy Pat Hughes got Geevaghs’ last point of the game to put them three ahead. However St. Croans were not giving up and reduced the deficit to 2 when they won a free close in. It was a nervous finish for Geevagh once again as a poor clearance was won by St. Croans number 15 Mullen who tapped over to leave the minimum between the sides. However Geevagh held on to advance to the Connacht semi-final. Geevaghs' Kenneth Sweeney, who was named man of the match got 7 of Geevaghs’ points with David O’Reilly, Shane McManus and Pat Hughes getting the remainder.

Geevagh: Darren Kearns, Brien curran, Desmond McTiernan, Daniel Smith, Joe Mulvanney, Liam McDonagh, Eamon McDonagh, Kevin byrne, Pat Cawley, Pat Hughes 0-1, Shane McManus 0-1, James O’reilly, David O’reilly 0-1, Kenneth Sweeney 0-7, Niall McDonagh. Subs used: Colm McManus

Match report by John Hargadon

Comments and Discussion on this article:                          (+ Write a Comment)

Write comments about this article
Your Name:*