Curry and St Farnans tie in game of two halves

Back 14/06/2023 @ 01:38 | mainnews | Curry and St Farnans tie in game of two halves

If even the description “A game of two halves" fitted a game it was this one as Curry and St Farnan’s ended up even after the final whistle was blown on a game of greatly contrasting halves in Curry on Saturday last.

In dull, humid conditions, the home side will wonder how they ended up needing an injury time free converted by the talismanic Adrian Marren to get anything out of this game.

It started so differently for Curry who were first on the score board and dominated the first half.  Fergal Brennan, who was involved in much of his side's better moments in attack, opened the scoring. That was follows by a pointed free each by the Marren brothers, Adrian and Jason to give their side a three point advantage midway through the first half which more than reflected their dominance. 

St. Farnan's finally got off the mark with a point from the hard-working Fionn Connolly, ably assisted by Martin Mulligan in the seventeenth minute.

It was a temporary respite however as the Marren powered Curry full forward line, wreaked havoc to add 1-4 without reply to their tally with full forward Tommy Henry getting the goal and the Marren brothers adding two points each.

Jason Marren could well have added another goal but for a brilliant interception by Shane Molloy but Curry led 1-7 to 0-1 as the closing stages of the opening half approached, In those final minutes. The sides swapped two points each to leave the half time score at 1-9 to 0-3 in favour of Curry.

St Farnans began the second half slightly stronger with Ciarán O'Connor from a free, and Thomas Cawley, getting points. 

A fine point from play by Adrian Marren and a free converted by Jason in the 12th minute of the half - after St Farnan’s lost Mattie Lang to a black card - put the margin back out to nine points again,1-11 to 0-5 and, down to 14 men, the visitor’s prospects looked bleak

It went exactly the opposite way however and with Shane Molloy taking on the Curry defence, which had lost county U20 star Dylan McLoughlin to injury just after the break, the momentum of the game swung in St. Farnan's favour. They added six consecutive points from Martin Mulligan, James Golden (two) and three Stephen Mulligan frees . 

With eight minutes remaining and just a goal between the sides, Curry went down to fourteen men as Jason Marren received a red card. Adrian Marren stretched the lead again to four points with a free but it was St. Farnan's who finished stronger as the Mulligan brothers provided 1-2 in the closing minutes - the goal from Martin - to level the scores 1-12 each. 

Stephen Mulligan added a point to give his side the lead as full time beckoned.  Curry, however got a free in injury time and Adrian Marren duly pointed. 

Curry will be wondering how they let a nine-point lead slip. St. Farnan’s equally will be disappointed that they found themselves in that position at half time but there was much to admire in their closing rally that yielded 1-9 in the final 20 minutes of play

Curry: Sean Marren; David Maguire, Michael Jennings, Dylan Mc Laughlin; Eoghan Sweeney, Oisín Higgins, Stephen Donoghue;  Jack Duffy,  Liam Reilly;  Fergal Brennan (0-1), Cathal Brennan, Adam Gallagher; Jason Marren (0-5(3f), Tommy Henry(1-1), Adrian Marren (0-6(3f).

Sub: Colin Brennan (for Dylan Mc Laughlin, injured). 

St. Farnan's: Simon Mullarkey; Ronan Molloy, Shane Molloy, Niall Hallinan; Mark Devaney, Ciarán O'Connor (0-2f), David Hallinan;  Kevin Mc Gee, Martin Mulligan (1-1); Mattie Lang, Fionn Connolly(0-1), Thomas Cawley (0-1); Conor Gordon,  James Golden (0-3), Stephen Mulligan (0-5(4f).

Referee: Bill Carty